Medicine is a unique blend of science, art, deduction, communication and physical skill. There is no other career where so many domains of your capacity will be challenged.

Nikhil graduated from the University of Sydney in 2017 with a Bachelor of Advanced Science (Physics and Physiology) and a Doctor of Medicine, on an Outstanding Achievement Scholarship. Nikhil has been with MedStart since 2011, and has taken on many roles during this time. In his spare time, Nikhil is an avid musician, and can often spend many hours at a time moving between the piano and the drums to the annoyance of everyone else in the neighbourhood.

Talent 100 Mentor
Nikhil Vasan
Learning Centre
School Attended
James Ruse Agricultural High School
Bachelor of Science (Advanced) and Doctor of Medicine, USYD
Neurosurgery Registrar, Westmead Hospital (current)
  • Outstanding Achievement Scholarship at USYD.
  • Dean's List 2011‑2013.
  • Ranked 7th in the state in Physics (2010)
  • Ranked 4th in the state in Cosmology (2009)

My top 5 study tips

1Don't dedicate ridiculous amounts of time to study. You need time to relax too. For example, iI'm going to start studying when I get home, until I sleep, so I can finish this topic'. This gets used a lot. But really? 7 hours straight? Be realistic. That's something you won't be able to do, so setting that goal and failing at it is just demoralising.

2Study little bits at a time, for example, tell yourself that today, I'm going to do ithese 3 dot points' in the syllabus. That might only take you 30min in the entire day, but that 30 min should be 100% focused with no distractions. Make sure you know that little bit to a fault, and then you wont forget it. It's significantly harder to retain information when you try to do too much at once.

3Find a study method that works for you - preferably before you reach Year 12. Pacing yourself is recommended, however, cramming is a viable technique. If you cram for exams and are unable to get all your study done in time, then it is not working for you.

4The Pareto Principle: 80% of what you retain from study is done in 20% of the total time you spend studying. When you sense the other 80% of time creeping up on you, in other words, you find at some point during your study you are becoming noticeably unproductive, then stop studying. Go do something else. Come back when you feel the urge to get something done again.

5Past papers and practise questions are your best friends. There is nothing quite like familiarity with a question to help you get full marks for the answer.

Great futures begin with great HSC results

Please wait... Please wait...